There are two ways to power off your Ubuntu system.
1. GUI: You can power off your system using the Graphical User Interface(GUI) by following the steps mentioned below:
- Step 1: Click on the top right corner of the screen.
- Step 2: From the drop-down menu click the power icon on the right.
- Step 3: A pop-up will display 3 options: Cancel, Restart, and Power Off.
- Step 4: Select Power off.
2. CLI: You can power off your system using the Command Line Interface(CLI) by following the steps mentioned below:
- Step 1: Launch the terminal window.
- Step 2: Enter ‘shutdown‘ for a 1-minute delay or ‘shutdown now‘ for immediate power off.
- Note: You can also schedule power off by adding a time argument or relative time as shown below:
- ‘sudo shutdown 18:30‘ for power off at 6:30 pm or ‘sudo shutdown +10‘ for a shutdown after 10 minutes.